What is DAAD – A Guide to DAAD 2022
Germany is the best choice among students. Germany provides free education to all graduates, postgraduates and PhD students, researchers and everyone out there with scholarships. It holds so many things in its lap.
Choosing the best for you is not a difficult road anymore! Stop misleading yourself by approaching agencies.
DAAD is here to help you! DAAD is the one-stop solution for you. It has all the answers related to scholarships, and finding good universities, as per your need, with easy application and procedure.
What is DAAD?
It is an organisation which grants scholarships, strengthens German culture and language studies to establish productive higher education. It provides a platform for students and professionals to enter the global level with practical knowledge.
It has the top universities of Germany on its list, divided into technical and not technical:
- TU- the first choice for non-medical students/professionals.
- Business schools- for commerce and humanities stream students.
Read below: How to search for universities in Germany?
It provides a platform for:
- Teachers can teach
- Researchers of any field can broaden their perspectives
- Students can study, do internships with top companies, or learn various foreign languages.
- Doctors can practise in Germany (Note- Indian MBBS degree is not equivalent to German programs)
There are 200 scholarships for teachers, researchers, and students in Germany. Find the right one and move to Germany. How? Read below.
Why is it important for studying in Germany?
It is a platform which provides not only scholarships at different levels but has many other benefits for all. Have a look here:-
- Find internships
- Find Accommodation
- Plan studies in Germany
- Work placements
- Find side jobs
- Language learning programs
- Funding and finance your study opportunities
- Cost of education and living
- Visa process
- Most important- health insurance
10 benefits in one place are more than enough to help you decide whom to approach now.
Keep reading to avoid hours of research! You can reach out to us if you need any help, because we provide free guidance on overseas education.
How does one apply for a DAAD scholarship?
As you have already searched for the university, but, is there any scholarship available for that?
There are various scholarship programs available in Germany. We list a few of them below:
- Corporate foundations have their own scholarship programs
- Erasmus+ exchange scholarship
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Bi-nationally Supervised Doctoral Degree Scholarship- A scholarship program for students who are pursuing a PhD at an institution in South Asia and want to do a part of their research in Germany.
Please note: Different scholarship programs have different eligibility criteria.
Follow this link to know the eligibility criteria to apply for scholarships in Germany: Funding Opportunities from other Organisations – DAAD
Follow the link and apply to various universities or check the eligibility criteria- Applying – DAAD
Who can take advantage of this opportunity?
- The youngest and the oldest in your family can apply. There is no age bar for applying to scholarships.
- Good grades in school and university are important. If not, you can still apply.
- It provided funding for certain target groups (check FAQ below)
- It awarded scholarships according to social, family-based or personal criteria.
*You are free to put-in-place your own selection and application procedures.
For more FAQ about scholarship Important information for scholarship applicants – DAAD
- On average, more than a third of scholarship applicants receive the funding for which they have applied.
- Smaller, less well-known foundations can easily fund you than larger funding organisations.
- Around 70 per cent of all students in Germany have never applied for a scholarship.
Below is the selection procedure for scholarships through DAAD.
Step 1: Written application
A written application includes:-
- Cover letter with your CV.
- Certificates, and assessments from teachers or professors
Step 2: An interview or an evaluation round- It is usually the last round. ‘
But there are some other organisations that follow a different pattern. These organisations come under Begabtenförderungswerke. There are around 13 organisations that provide funding based on scholarship holder family income. Of course, a basic requirement should match before applying.
Next steps under begabtenförderungswerke are:
- Discussion groups
TIP: First, enquire in your home country whether you can apply for scholarships or other funding options.
How does one find universities using the DAAD portal?
Now, you have decided on the course. Let’s move on to search for universities in Germany, as this is an important aspect to look for. It will decide your living and costs as well. Though there is no tuition fee, living costs are mandatory to cover.
Search for the university on the DAAD portal, using the following link Study & Research in Germany | DAAD India
Effective use of DAAD
Get the quick links below:-
You can check eligibility, various programs and universities, language medium, application procedure, and more on specific sites
- Specifically for PhD candidates: PhDGermany – Database – DAAD – Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst
- For master studies- Master Studies | DAAD India
- For bachelor’s studies- Bachelor Studies | DAAD India
- To apply for after MBBS programs- After MBBS… | DAAD India
- For various short-term and internship programs-Internships and Short-Term Programmes | DAAD India
If you still have doubts, you can join Events | DAAD India – to get updated about the latest events- on how to apply and search for programs and scholarships under DAAD through frequent live sessions.
They are always there to help you out with heaps of questions.
Take the sessions, follow the above-provided guide, pack your bags and take a flight to Germany.