Where to Look For Accomodation in Germany 2023
Finding accommodation in Germany can be a bit challenging, especially in larger cities where the demand is high. However, there are several resources and websites that you can use to search for suitable accommodation options:
Studentenwerk: Studentenwerk is a national organization that provides support services for students, including accommodation. They offer affordable student housing in many university towns in Germany. Generally, the waiting time is higher at this organization because of its low prices.
University Accommodation Office: Most universities in Germany have an accommodation office that can assist you in finding suitable student housing. You can contact your university accommodation office to find out what options are available.
Online Housing Portals: There are several online housing portals in Germany that cater specifically to students. Some popular ones include WG-Gesucht, WG-Suche and ImmobilienScout24.
Social Media Groups: Many cities and universities in Germany have social media groups for international students where you can find information on available housing. Search for these groups on Facebook, Telegram and other social media platforms.
Local Newspapers: You can also check local newspapers for accommodation listings. Many landlords still advertise their properties in newspapers, especially in smaller towns.
Is it difficult to find accommodation in Germany?
As mentioned earlier, finding a place to stay is definitely not a cake walk in Germany. There are several factors that can make it difficult including:
- High demand: In popular cities like Berlin, Munich, and Hamburg, the demand for accommodation is high, which can make it challenging to find available apartments or rooms. Moreover many people are constantly on the lookout for accommodation in Germany, including students, working professionals, and locals, which can make it difficult to stand out from other applicants.
- High costs: Accommodation in Germany can be expensive, especially in popular cities. The high cost of living can make it challenging to find affordable accommodation.
- Language barrier: Many landlords and property managers in Germany require tenants to speak German, which can be a barrier for international students or non-native speakers. So, it is always better to learn German in advance for a hassle-free stay.
- Rental regulations: Germany has strict rental regulations, which can make it challenging for tenants to find suitable accommodation. For example, landlords may require proof of income or rental history.
To make your search for accommodation easier, you can consider the following tips:
- Start looking for accommodation as soon as possible, ideally several months before you plan to move. Begin looking for accommodation as soon as you know you will be studying in Germany. This will give you more time to find suitable options and avoid last-minute stress.
- There are several online platforms that can help you find accommodation in Germany, such as Studenten-WG, WG-gesucht, and Immobilienscout24. These platforms allow you to search for available rooms or apartments based on your preferences and budget.
- You can consider alternative options such as shared apartments, subletting, or temporary accommodation. Sharing a room or apartment with other students can be an affordable option and also provide an opportunity to meet new people.
- Housing fairs are events where landlords and property managers showcase available accommodation. Attending one of these events can be a great way to find a place to live and get to know the local housing market.
- Have all necessary documents ready, such as proof of income, rental history, and references. Be open to different locations or types of accommodation, and be prepared to negotiate with landlords or property managers. You don’t want to mess up on that front when you find a suitable place for yourself!
- Many cities and universities have Facebook groups dedicated to finding accommodation. Joining these groups can allow you to connect with other students who may be looking for roommates or have information about available housing.
Keep in mind
Remember, finding accommodation in Germany can take time and effort, but with the right approach and preparation, you can find a suitable place to live. Always be cautious when searching for accommodation online and never send money or personal information without verifying the authenticity of the offer. Lastly, start your search early and to be flexible with your options. Many students prefer to live in shared flats (WG) to save costs and to socialize with other students. You can also consider alternative options such as homestays, subletting, or short-term rentals until you find a suitable long-term accommodation. Finally, make sure to read the rental agreement carefully and understand the terms and conditions.
If you need any help and guidance, connect with us completely free of cost. We have a base of more than 200 Students studying in germany who will help you finding your stay in any city of germany.